My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, August 6, 2012

I Remember Mama (1948)

George Steven's adaptation of the play of the same title is a memorable family drama centered around a mother of true courage, strength and passion.  Irene Dunne is the perfect choice to play the role and her performance is perfectly subtle and consistent.   The entire ensemble is great because it's hard to imagine they're not really a family.  I'll admit that as the film started I didn't expect much.  But by the time the film ended I had tears running down my cheeks.  What a glorious picture.  Grade: A   

No comments:

Post a Comment