My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Woman in Black (2012)

This spooky ghost story set in England tells of a young widowed lawyer named Arthur Kipps who travels to a small town to go over the affairs of an old estate.  While there, Arthur sees a ghost which triggers an old curse.  To keep the curse from ruining his life he must solve a mystery and set things right.   This is Daniel Radcliffe's first performance since playing Harry Potter and I have to say he impressed me.  He's certainly a gifted actor and I hope he can crawl from out of Harry's persona.  Without giving away too much I'll just say that I enjoyed this film, stereotypical scary movie tricks and all, until the ending which disappoints. Directed by James Watkins.  Grade: B.

Spoiler Alert:  About the ending, what annoyed me wasn't that Arthur Kipps dies with his son.  It's that Arthur Kipps' ghost wife doesn't try an stop the Woman in black.  I kept expecting her to shield her son from the Woman in Black's influence.  I know that might make for a Hollywood ending but if dying isn't that awful why should anyone be scarred of dying it it just means reuniting with your loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment