My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

10 (1979)

This was probably Blake Edward's best film.  Many fans of his Pink Panther series might disagree but I really enjoyed what I thought was going to be a pointless sex comedy.  Sure it deals with a topic we've seen before, the male midlife crisis, but it finds a honest balance between farce and tender romance.  Dudley Moore plays a famous song writer who becomes entranced by a bride he sees at a stop light on her way to get married.  Struggling to define his relationship with his singer girlfriend, played by Julie Andrews, he bumbles his way in a drunken stupor to Mexico to where the young bride is on her honeymoon.  Bo Derek plays the stunning bride and I was delighted to see she actually plays a character and not just a sex object.  Grade: B+

On a side note: when I say they don't make them like this anymore I mean it.  An entire scene where a couple argues over the definition of the word "broad" doesn't get made anymore.   Too bad because it's a terrific scene.  

No comments:

Post a Comment