My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Pawnbroker (1964)

One of Sidney Lumet's more raw exploits of the mean streets of New York with Rod Steiger as a bitter Jewish Holocaust survivor haunted by the past as he tries to come to terms with his present career as a Pawnbroker.  Steiger's performance is quite good if a tad bit too intense (which is a strange critique but I don't know how else to describe what seems like an overuse of method acting.).  Not really a happy film or even focused story with any clear judgments, it is a brave work of '60s cinema.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment