My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, August 17, 2012

On The Town (1949)

This musical starring Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Jules Munshin as Sailors on leave for one day in New York walks a razor's edge of being a quaint celebration of New York and a sex comedy about sailors chasing tail before heading out to sea.  The songs are fun and the acting stagy which is acceptable being this is a musical and there's dancing involved.  The Bernstein and Edens' score pops and the location shots help make this more than an adaptation of a Broadway show.  For me its Betty Garrett's performance as Hildy Esterhazy the Taxi driver that really helps bolster this film.  Her comic timing and charm stand out, even against Mr. Sinatra.  Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment