My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wendy and Lucy (2008)

Directed by Kelly Reichardt and staring Michelle Williams (both of whom would work together again on Meek's Cutoff) this film about a young woman searching for her dog after her car breaks down in a small town is a nice change of pace.  It's not bold or daring or even sentimental.  It's just a well-crafted story that explores desperation and those moments when even the smallest thing seems too hard.  Williams is unrecognizable and pulls out a raw and tender performance that echoes after the film has ended.  It's not the kind of film for everyone for it's not flashy or fast paced.  But for those who enjoy small intimate fables this one rewards.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment