My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Carnage (2011)

Sometimes a great cast and a master directer just miss the mark.  This mildly entertaining film based on the French play, God of Carnage, never had a chance considering how un-cinematic the story is.  Two sets of parents square off when their sons get in an fight.  At first they attempt to be civil but soon their manners unwind revealing their true personalities underneath.   Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and John C. Riley work their butts off and Christoph Waltz tries to keep up, but together they're chemistry is just off.   How is this possible?  A movie with my two favorite actresses ending up flat and uninspired: disappointing.  It doesn't help that the story doesn't really go anywhere.  By the halfway mark the comedy is dried up and nothing new promises to surprise.  Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment