My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard take us on a ride, deconstructing the horror movie in probably the most original way ever done on film.  Satire meets thriller adventure film with lots of gore and evil mixed in.  Without giving anything away, not that there's really any "thing" to give away (it's not like The Sixth Sense or anything mind-bending like that), this is a horror film about four young people who go camping in a cabin in the woods (see, it's like the title).  But like many horror films later, something bad happens and they're doing what they can to survive.  Except there's a lot more going on than what horror they're dealing with.  The cast is wonderful with Kristen Connolly and Fran Kranz standing out.  I loved this film and can't wait to tell all my "horror movie" friends to check it out.  Grade: A- 

No comments:

Post a Comment