My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Week with Marilyn (2011)

The true behind the scene story of when Marilyn Monroe went to England to make The Showgirl and the Prince with Laurence Olivier.  Michelle Williams as Marilyn and Kenneth Branagh as Mr. Olivier both earn well-deserved Oscar nominations for their work in this film.  They do excellent jobs portraying real people instead of impersonating their famous personas.  At this rate Michelle Williams should have an Oscar in a few years considering her impressive body of work is already.  As for the film, it's not a masterpiece but the story is entertaining enough to elevate an otherwise average film.  At times I found myself wanting more, needing a clear reason why this film needed being made besides being another tale of a troubled starlet.  A good film but not a great one.  Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment