My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Enemies: A Love Story (1989)

The tale of a Jewish Holocaust survivor Herman Broder who marries the Polish servant who rescues him only to learn that his first wife didn't die in the Holocaust and is alive and well.  To make things even more crazy and humorous he's in love with another woman, his mistress Masha.  Based on the book by Isaac Bashevis Singer and written and directed by Paul Mazursky, I found this film excellent but mostly because of the acting from Ron Sliver, Anjelica Huston and Lena Olin.  Mazursky's script is a good one, as I'm sure the book is a challenge to make cinematic, but it never really finds any rhythm.  I do recommend it but only if you get that it's never laugh out loud funny and that it's more character driven than plot driven.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment