My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (Novel)

The winner of last year's Pulitzer for fiction, this collection of criss-crossing stories that make up a "novel" is the kind of book that blows you way by its precise and deeply developed prose and by its various unforgettable characters.  To entangle so many lives together in a meaningful and clear way is an achievement in itself, nonetheless have so many lives turn out as entertaining as they are.  This is the first book I've read by Mrs. Egan and I'm certainly going to read more.  The fact that there's a power-point presentation story that's as engaging as any of the other stories is amazing on its own.  Grade: A.   

No comments:

Post a Comment