My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Gentleman Prefer Blondes (1953)

Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe star in this Howard Hawks adaption of the stage show about two showgirls on a cruise to Paris.  Both full of sass and a whole lot of sex appeal, this '50s show is dated but still very charming.   I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, you have to like corny plots and nonsense musical numbers but for those who enjoy going back in time, this one is a hoot.  Grade: B.

Spoiler: The court room scene where Jane Russell acts like Marilyn is a crack up and my favorite part.  It does two things: it demonstrates Russell's comedic talent and that Marilyn's act is just that, an act that she mastered like no one else.  What two superstars.   

No comments:

Post a Comment