My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

She's Gotta Have It (1986)

This is Spike Lee's first feature-length film and it feels very much like a first feature-length film from an artist who already knows what kind of style he wants but hasn't quite crafted his skills as a writer.  It doesn't help that the actors are the type of actors a first time feature-length director would be able to acquire.  Not that they're horrible but they certainly have a tough time making Lee's dialogue feel natural.  This is obvious when Spike Lee is the best actor of the group.  That said there's this raw, funny and engaging quality to the film that makes it all work out in a charming and unique way.  It's entertaining and worth a watch.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment