My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Take Shelter (2011)

This is a flawed but thrilling study of a man (Michael Shannon) who believes he's going crazy as he sees delusions about a coming storm that will cause great devastation.  Shannon is excellent and the overall story is great.  The problem is that director and writer Jeff Nichols can't quite get the pacing right.  It drags a bit and when it ends you feels it came fifteen minutes late.  I'm confident with some extra editing this would have been an amazing film.  Jessica Chastain is as wonderful as ever and I really appreciated the complexities of the story, especially the last moments in his shelter.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment