My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Get Carter (1971)

Michael Caine knows how to play a bad-ass in a way that's so British and yet brutish that you can't take your eyes off the screen.  Here he's a gangster that returns home for his brother's funeral only to go on a revengeful war path to find those responsible.  This is a great movie with a couple wonderful surprises and a nice film noir plot that keeps the audience guessing.  The pacing is a bit out-dated but that doesn't mean much because this in many ways enhances the film.  Director Mike Hodge would return to the feel of this movie with The Croupier in 1996.  It's clear he knows how to tell real good and believable gangster story.  Grade: A- 

No comments:

Post a Comment