My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November Is National Novel Writing Month (Commentary)

November begins a tradition in my household and that's participating in NaNoWirMo, or National Novel Writing Month.  It's a celebration of the written word and in this case 50,000 words written in 30 days.  It's a fun challenge and I recommend that everyone try it.  It's easier than a marathon and afterward you'll have a novel to read, maybe revise and maybe give to someone to read.  Let's be clear though, publication is not the goal.  It's about quantity over quality.  Novels (or novellas, because let's be honest novels are longer than 50,000 words) written during this time are all probably crap.   Yet you never know, you might find something special in what spews out of you, some literary creature that with time you can nurture into . . . something.   If anything what this project does is activate people into writing and that's a great thing.   So give it a try.  You don't win anything if you succeed or lose anything if you come short.  I've done this for three years and once I wasn't able to reach my goal.  So what.  I finished in December instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment