My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Outside the Law (2010)

The Algerian War told from the point of view of three brothers.  This French production was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Oscar last year and it certainly looks it.  While some of the violence celebrates more than I would have liked, it's a good film and worth a viewing.  Jamel Debbouze plays the youngest brother, the one more interested in getting a head and making a dollar then winning freedom for his country.  Sami Bouajila plays the leader of the rebels, a man willing to put himself over the cause.  But its Roschdy Zem that I really connected to the most.  The loyal brother who will kill even thought it goes against his core beliefs.  There's much to love about this film.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment