My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Incendies (2010)

Nominated for Best foreign language film of last year, this drama about twins setting out to fulfill their dead mother's final wishes, to deliver a letter to the brother they didn't know they had and to deliver another letter to their father is a dark and demanding film.  The mystery behind their mother unfolds in flashbacks as we follow the twins' journey.  A very beautiful tragedy that begs the world to love instead of hate.  Grade: A

Spoilers:  There are many great scenes but that bus burning scene was as shocking and as terrifying as they get.  I sort of could see where the film was going but its the way the handled the twist that works.  I'm on the fence if it should have won the Oscar.  It was certainly deserving of the nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment