My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Red State (2011)

I'm not a Kevin Smith fan.  He just doesn't do it for me.  That said, he's improving and this his first good film shows that making four or five practice films does make one better.   I'm glad I didn't watch this for my horror film marathon because this is not a horror film.  It tricks you, starting out as a horror film (with a nightmarish scenerio of three young men kidnapped by a religious cult) but quickly turns into something else.  In many ways it's two films compressed into one and it's entertaining and inventive because of this structure.  Some of the heavy-handed commentary that Mr. Smith paints on is as thick as usual but it didn't bother me this time around.  John Goodman is great like always and there are many surprises worth waiting for.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment