My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 7) - Series Review

I did it!  Sadly it's over.  No more Buffy to watch.  I must start the withdrawal process.  Now that it's over I can honestly say that this last season was a triumph.  While still fresh on my mind, I'd have to put it as the third or forth best season.  That said, it's a great ending and I am giving a standing ovation of the mind right as I write this.  It's another Apocalypse and the villain this time is the First and in many ways that's the perfect way to bring the series full circle because we return to Sunnydale High where it all began.   Instead of relying on a new actor to play Buffy's nemesis for this season they have the First look like anyone they want, which is refreshing.  That said Nathan Fallon's Priest character is welcomed sidekick.   Could this season have been better?  Sure there are some choices that would have been more satisfying for me and I'd have loved a few more episodes to visit older story lines and maybe a two-hour finale but that's all minor wishes. (Still the fact they jammed so much in an hour for the finale is impressive.)  Overall this is a successful conclusion to one of the most clever and entertaining television shows out there.  Grade: A.

Spoiler:  The single episode that blew me away was "Storyteller" where Jonathan makes a documentary and he ends up facing his own guilt.  That episode alone is proof at how great this show is.  There are many other great episodes but most of them blend together.   What would I have liked to have seen?  Maybe Buffy choose Spike over Angel, that was a slap to the face.  After building up a great love story between Buffy and Spike the writers toss it aside for Angel, a guy that's not been part of her life anymore.  That scene, while very well-written, felt emotional dishonest and left me cold.  The chemistry between the two of them that once was so palpable had lost its passion and no matter how good they are as actors they didn't convince me they still loved each other.   Not that I disliked the way Spike sacrificed himself at the end, but it would have been so much more powerful if Buffy committed to her love for him instead of Whedon stepping in and blocking the emotional arc of the scene. (I didn' buy his reasons in the commentary track either.)  Of the entire show, this is the only time I doubted Whedon's choices and disagree with the way he handled these unique and established characters.  I also felt Willow and Kennedy's hookup while necessary to show Willow's moving on, it's the kind of relationship that just won't work out.  But those are the only flaws I can see and I thank Joss Whedon and company for crafting such a splendid story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment