My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Rapture (1991)

Mimi Rogers plays Sharon, a woman who becomes obsessed with the Rapture (the religious belief that the End Times are upon us and soon true believers in Christ will be taken to Heaven).  Soon she is born again, leaving a sexually free but empty life to get ready for the day Jesus saves her.   David Duchovny also stars.  What happens is dream-like and horrible and beautifully strange at the same time.  What writer and director, Michael Tolkin, accomplishes here is fascinating to behold.  It will leave you thinking, that's for sure, and maybe a little stunned.  Some might be put off by the religious rhetoric while other the nudity and sex scenes, isn't that ironic?  Grade: A-  

No comments:

Post a Comment