My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Netflix Is In Trouble (Commentary)

I hate to say it but Netflix is sinking and it kills me because for me it's the best movie-watching experience out there.  But the studios don't like their business model and to make things worse Netflix management keeps making rotten decisions.   Thankfully they're not splitting off their website into two.   Qwikster is dead!  Celebrate while it lasts.  I will continue being loyal to this company to the bitter end but in order to survive what's coming in the next few years they're going to have to adapt and I can only hope I like what's left over. 

Keep DVDS:  Even with rumors that the post office will collapse Netflix can't afford to dissolve the DVD mail-in service.  There's just not enough available to stream yet.   Don't forget that its the DVD business that put you where you are. 

New Streaming Plans:  There's a way to raise prices without pissing off your customers.   Give them a product that they want to pay more for.  Create a Gold Streaming Plan where new releases and popular TV shows are available.  Get HBO on board by saying you'll charge your customers more for their content.   Once a show becomes less popular you can shift it over to the regular streaming plan.  But if you want a better library you're going to have to pay for it, just give the customer the choice.

No Commercials:  Never, never, never have commercials.  Once you do that you're toast.  I'll certainly cancel my subscription. 

Original Content:  Making deals with production companies for content that only you can stream is brilliant.   Make your customers stick around because there's programming that they can't get anywhere else. 

Overall I'm hoping Netflix survives.  I love how I can get hard-to-find titles and that I don't have to travel anywhere to get my entertainment.   But Amazon.com and Apple are hovering, wanting to take over.  Blockbuster wants to be on top again.  If they want to be around for awhile they'll need to take care of their customers and improve their library.   It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment