My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Barney's Version (2010)

Mordecai Richler's novel acts as the bases for this Richard J. Lewis film, starring one of my favorite actors, Paul Giamatti.  I loved this movie as it flashes back and forth telling the story of Barney Panofsky through his three marriages.  Dustin Hoffman compliments Giamatti's performance as Barney's father, a police detective with an appetite for life.  It's hard to watch sometimes seeing a man make one awful choice after another but somehow it remains honest and never loses the balance between comedy and drama.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment