My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 11, 2011

A Little Help (2011)

Jenna Fischer is a talented actress and I can see why she would wish to tackle this script.  The character of Laura is complex enough to help improve her skills as an actresss.  It's too bad it's such a mixed bag.   Michael Weithorn might know how to write for television but he needed to consider revising this script  one more time.  Don't be fooled, this is not a comedy.  It's a drama with humorous tidbits but that's it.  My rule of thumb is just because there's a great moment here or there, you have to judge a movie by its whole. Grade: B-

Spoiler: Good stories usually (not always) deal with a hero rising up in the climax and acting, changing their fate to either win or lose what it was they set out to win.  But here we watch a character constantly get beat down only to do nothing at the end.  There's no end, not even an anti-climatic one.  It just keeps moving with our character's choice being as bland as the rest of her choices.  I really think this film could have been great if he'd fixed the third act.

No comments:

Post a Comment