My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Charley Varrick (1973)

Walter Matthau was so good.  Here he plays the title character, a stunt pilot turned crop duster turned bank robber who with his partner in crime Harmen (played by Andy Robinson) must figure out what to do when they unintentionally steal mob money.  Charley is a smart, hard criminal running out of time.   He's just lost his wife, is dealing with an irresponsible partner and a hit man (Joe Don  Baker) out to kill him.   What he does next is really fun to watch.  I really enjoyed this Don Spiel production and loved the smart almost pulp fiction feel.  What a forgotten gem. Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment