My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Stars Look Down (1940)

The harsh world of English Miners during the 1930s as described by novelist A. J. Cronin is turned into a film directed by Carol Reed.  Michael Redgrave plays a teacher, Davey, who returns to his mining hometown with a wife that's not in love with him named Jenny played by Margaret Lockwood.  A parallel theme soon emerges as Jenny lusts for more personal gain and wealth so too the mining industry pushes their workers to the brink of tragedy.   This is a powerful story that will easily stay in your mind long after you watch it.  I only wish the copy I watched was better but it's very possible this is one of those lesser known classics that needs a desperate restoration.  Grade: A-  

No comments:

Post a Comment