My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stroszek (1977)

Only Werner Herzog could make a film like this.  A strange, wonderful and relevant look at the so-called American Dream.  With Bruno S. as the lead, playing a version of himself I believe, Herzog creates another unique character for the silver screen.  You can assume that Herzog loves working with peculiar artists, flawed people with a lot to say.   This would explain his desire to work with Bruno S again after The Enigma of Kasper Hauser.   Stroszek is a simple German ex-con who leaves German for America to escape street criminals and to be with his prostitute girl friend, Eva .   Yet it's here in the good old USA where Stroszek and Eva become victims of another form of predator, the Big Bad Bank as they consume and own like a typical American.   The beginning is a bit slow but stick with it because this is an exceptional story told with an independent spirit.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment