My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Motors (2012)

I can't decide if I loved this film because I hunger for surreal and warped storytelling (which never get made it seems anymore) or because this is actually a great film.  It's a wonderfully weird tale of an "actor" being driven around in a white limo all day in Paris from one assignment to the next taking on different "roles".   It works on so many levels as an anthology piece and as a metaphor for life and the challenges of being who we are.   It's also a showcase of actor Denis Lavant and his amazing range.  His various performances make watching this film a priority for lovers of acting.   Overall if you dislike anything out of the ordinary you might want to skip this one but if you're like me and want stories that live on the edge of what's acceptable then you have to watch this one.  It's an enthralling and imaginative work from director Leos Carax.   Grade: A

Kudos: I wanted to give a shout out for the use of actress Edith Scob from the film Eyes without a Face.  Nice tribute to said film with the mask she wears.  Another reason to love this film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment