My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pretty Baby (1978)

Louis Malle directs a film written by Polly Platt about a twelve-year-old girl growing up in a whore house in New Orleans in the early part of the last century.  The girl, played by then newcomer Brooke Shields, ends up becoming a prostitute and romantically getting involved with a photographer played by Keith Carradine.  Unjustly controversial when it came out for being so blatant about history (I guess showing that such practices like men auctioning for the chance to sleep with a virgin girl should just be ignored) it deserves a second look for being a great example of strong unbiased storytelling.  I understand if people become uncomfortable but that's kind of the point, especially when it's clear Carradine's character really does love Shields as lover and not a father figure even if she's incapable of loving him back.  It's tragic, morbid, and complex and I recommend it as a great historical artifact and brilliant drama.  Susan Sarandon also stars as Shields mother and it's one of her best supporting roles.  Grade: A.    

No comments:

Post a Comment