My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Zero for Conduct (1933)

Jean Vigo's short 41 minutes boarding school film is a visual rich journey with lots of humor.  It's about a small group of misfits who stir up a revolution against their strict adult overseers.  I know from reading about Vigo and how influential he was to the French New Wave twenty plus years later that this inspired many film makers.   I don't know if Wes Anderson ever watched it but I would be surprised if this film didn't enter his imagination dream-box at some point.  Even if your dislike older films, you should watch this one (it's so short, just do it).   But if you choose to only watch one film by Vigo, then skip this one in favor of the film he made after this one, L'Atalante.  It's too bad Vigo had such a short life; it would have been wonderful to experience more of his unique vision.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment