My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Bakery Girl of Monceau (1963)

So begins Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales film series.  Inspired by F. W. Murnau's Sunrise, each film follows a male character yearning for a girl while committed in some way to another.  This first film is a short 26 minute story about a young man who becomes obsessed with a girl he spotted on the street.  He goes on a search to find her, ending up in a bakery.  Soon the girl at the counter in the bakery shows interested in him.  Simple yet very satisfying, it's a good start for what is considered a respected series of films from a French New Wave Original.  I have to admit I did see the fifth film of the series many years ago, Claire's Knee, and it didn't impress me that much but I'm looking forward to the other four.   The next film in the series is Suzanne's Career.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment