My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Beautiful Laundrette (1986)

Omar is a young Pakistani business man who convinces his uncle to let him clean up a rundown launderette and manage it.  To assist him in his endeavor he takes on his secret lover, Johnny, a street-wise thug he's known since childhood.  Directed by Stephen Frears and written by Hanif Kureishi this was one of Working Title's first productions.  While an excellent exploration of class, race, sexuality and '80s economics in London, I can't say this film kept my interest that much.  There are some wonderful moments and Omar and Johnny's relationship is fascinating on many levels but the film never seems to have a strong narrative destination.   I never felt invested in the success of the business or the various relationships to care.  I wanted to like this film more than I actually did.  Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment