My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lust for Life (1956)

Vincent Van Gogh is one of my favorite painters and if I had known that there was a film biography about his life staring Kirk Douglas I would have seen it by now.  Mr. Douglas seems to almost fly too close to the sun in his performance, meaning he almost over acts, but the emotional core of a manic depressive is there and because of that it’s spectacular.   It’s that typical biography that goes through the motions of A,B,C until his death but the acting and visuals are so great it doesn’t matter.    It shocks me that this film didn’t get nominated for Best Picture and in the year that Gigi one too.  Based on Irving Stone's novel and directed by the visual master Vincente Minnelli.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment