My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Moonlighting (1982)

Jerzy Skolimowski writes and directs one of the best films of the early eighties.  I'm surprised this film isn't talked about more; it's a skillfully thought out parable about how abusive it can be using illegal immigrants.  Jeremy Irons plays a Polish foreman who supervises three other Polish workers in the illegal renovation of a London flat.  It seems innocent enough until the Polish trade union protests occur back in Poland.   This leaves the main character in an moral pickle.  He needs his men to keep working but if he tells them what's going on back at home he risks they stop.  On top of that worry is that he doesn't have that much money so he needs to stretch his coin as much as he can.  With very little dialogue, the film could have been made as a silent film.   It's the kind of story that's impossible to turn away, almost like a thriller at times.  Excellent film making in so many ways, I can't recommend this one enough.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment