My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Straight Time (1978)

Never doubt Dustin Hoffman’s acting talent.  For example there’s this character piece about a career thief who tries to go straight after getting out of prison but ultimately is unable to conform to society’s ways.   This is one of those films that’s effortless to watch because it’s well-acted and expertly written.   Also stars Theresa Russell as the innocent girl he falls for, the girl who wants to love him no matter his nature.   Such an underrated work from director Ulu Grosbard.   Don't miss out on this one if you like '70s cinema or are interested in watching Mr. Hoffman at his best.  Grade: A

This is Kathy Bates' first film and contain one of Gary Busey's best supporting roles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment