My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Matrimonio all'italiana [Marriage Italian Style] (1964)

Legendary director/actor Vittorio De Sica reunites with his leads from Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni, to tell the story of a prostitute's endeavor to get a rich businessman she fell in love with when an innocent girl to marry her.  Is it a love story or is it a comedic con job, you be the judge.  I loved this movie and thought it was better than the trio's last film mentioned earlier.  Lorena and Mastroianni are wonderful, playing off each other like two great actors do.  It's clear they are comfortable with each other and it's so fun to watch.   De Sica proves again what an exceptional storyteller he is.  Grade: A  

No comments:

Post a Comment