My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Ted (2012)

Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy, brings his crass, juvenile wit and cynical brand of humor to the big screen with a surreal fantasy about a man and his walking talking Teddy Bear.  It's a strange combination of sardonic Hallmark movie that tries to be a sentimental romantic comedy, which works and doesn't at the same time.  Mark Wahlberg is pretty good playing his loveable kind of dumb guy and Mila Kunis is adorable (if a bit young for Wahlberg) as the girl friend that wants her man to grow up.  The joke of watching a teddy bear with a potty mouth does get old pretty fast but I was able to appreciate MacFarlane's attempt at making Ted a complete character.  The problem is that I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be rooting for:  Wahlberg's character learning to be a better boyfriend or Ted stepping out on his own as the only living Teddy Bear in the world.   These two opposing stories at times thwart each other.  That said there are some hilarious moments, my favorite dealing with a Flash Gordon cameo that makes watching this semi-amusing film worthwhile.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment