My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Santa Sangre (1989)

Alejandro Jodorowsky is the closest anyone has come to being the next Luis Brunel.  This bizarre, beautiful yet disjointed tale of the son of circus performers transformation from mental patient to serial killer is not to be missed by anyone claiming to love the avant-garde.  It has shocking moments, B-movie quality gore and silliness mixed in with a poetic Greek tragedy like aura.  I would have liked it if the tempo was a bit more consistent but regardless this is one of those unique experiences worth checking out, unless of course you dislike weird cinema from outside the Untied States.  It's too bad more of this brand of film making was more desired.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment