My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Story of Women (1988)

If you liked Vera Drake by Mike Leigh then you might enjoy this one from Claude Chabrol which was based on a true story of Marie-Louise Giraud, a woman albeit less likable who performs illegal abortions.  Isabelle Huppert lends her incredible talents in the main role in a film that is less about abortion and more about a selfish woman making money off the less fortunate so she can live the life she wants no matter the consequences.   This is great drama first and social commentary second.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment