My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Birdy (1984)

Matthew Modine is the eccentric bird man and Nicolas Cage his best friend returning from the Vietnam war to try and help his friend escape a mental lapse.  Director Alan Parker creates a beautiful multi layered film that's poetic in style and nostalgic in memory.  The two leads give solid performances that keep their characters' motivations clear while remaining complex human beings.  It's fascinating to me that the novel by William Wharton it's based on was set during WWII without changing the themes of the story.  I guess this says something about the universal truths of friendship, war and the human journey to find meaning in ones life.  In many ways this underrated film is a true lesser known classic of the '80s. Grade: A-   

No comments:

Post a Comment