My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Penny Serenade (1941)

Cary Grant and Irene Dunne star in this captivating and emotional film directed by George Stevens about a couple's love story from falling in love, their finical ups and downs, and the adoption of a child.  There's a lot to love, from great character work and wonderful moments of comedy, but in the end it's an unsatisfying film.  The ending felt forced and left me wondering if the writers ever understood their own film's theme.  I can't say it's the kind of film to avoid, there are some
memorable scenes and you can see why it's regarded as a classic, I just wish it wasn't so manipulative.  Grade: B-

Spoiler:  The death of a child is a horrible event and I can appreciate Stevens desire to explore how such an tragedy can test a relationship but what upset me the most about this film is how the heroes only stay together when they realize they can get another kid.   It cheapens the first child's existence and that's why in many ways I hated this film.   It could have been way more inspiring, a film about love being able to withstand any hardship.  Instead it was about two lovers that probably shouldn't be with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment