My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In Which They Serve (1942)

It would be too easy to call this one propaganda, even if it was used to help bolster British pride during WWII.  This is a well-crafted story about the British Navy and the men who protect an island.  Noel Coward's artistic tribute to the Navy is told in flash backs from different point of views.  In the beginning the HMS Torrin is hit and then we are invited to meet those of the crew that will die and those that will live.  Wives and children of the crew are introduced and family's forever changed.  It's a beautiful and moving film and while a tad bit sentimental you can't help but understand why.  I can only hope someday someone will properly restore this film and return it to his glory for unfortunately the version I saw was worn and washed-out.  Regardless I'm glad I was able to see it not matter the quality.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment