My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Secret Honor (1984)

One man shows rarely work as cinematic experiences.  Who wants to watch an actor talk to himself for ninety minutes?  This one works because of three factors: the actor, Philip Baker Hall, is amazing, Robert Altman directs (creating a visually textured piece) and the character is of President Nixon.  I'd recommend knowing your history a little bit in order to enjoy this one but it's a pretty intense rambling of ideas about power, politics and memory.  Based on the play by Donald Freed and Arnold M. Stone, it take acts as a confessional for the late President as he paces back and forth in his office dictating in a microphone and in a few cameras for the purpose of his memoir.  Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment