My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Shadows in Paradise (1986)

This love story from Finnish director Aki Kaurismäki really surprised me.  It's a perfect little film about a garbage man and a shy young woman with strict parents.  This is the first of a thematic trilogy and I must say if the others are as good as this one, I'm in for a treat.  Probably the aspect I loved the most about this film was how the actors look like your average low-income worker instead of some uber attractive model.  There's no attempt to wow the audience with stylish lighting or distracting camera tricks.  It's just good honest storytelling about two unique people.  This is one of those films that will stay with you for years to come. Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment