My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blithe Spirit (1945)

Noel Coward's famous play is adapted for the screen by the great David Lean.  Starring Rex Harrison and Constance Cummings as husband and dead ex-wife reunited after a séance, this comedy fantasy is a bit dated (green makeup, really?) yet it's still an enjoyable yarn.  Yet the actor that really steals the show is Margaret Rutherford as the Madame Arcati; wow, what a great a performance.  She's a riot well worth checking out.  Like all Coward's work, there's a lot of witty exchanges and commentary on the norms of English life.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment