My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Heat and Dust (1983)

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala adapts her own Booker Prize novel for director James Ivory in a Merchant Ivory production that really will stand the test of time.  It tells the story of an English woman named Anne investigating her Great Aunt Olivia's scandalous life in India.  It's a mystery, a love story, a look at opposing cultures and a drama about finding ones self in a foreign land.  Both Julie Christie and Greta Scacchi hold the movie together with fine performances.  If you love Merchant Ivory films and you haven't seen this one yet, do.  It's wonderful.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment