My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Angel's Share (2013)

Ken Loach's surprise feel-good movie of the year might not seem like it in the first ten minutes but trust me when I say it slowly ups the comedy and the suspense to become the Ocean's Eleven of  whiskey-tasting capers.  To avoid jail Robbie, a young father in love with a woman who might as well be named Juliet to his Romeo, must volunteer for community service where he is introduced by the man running the program to the art of whiskey.  Soon he realizes he has a knack for tasting and that's when what might seem like a Scottish version of Sideways goes Mission Impossible.  This really is an impressive film with brilliant performances.  There's one particular scene where Robbie must confront a young man he beat up so bad he almost killed.  It's gut-wrenching and impressive for a film maker to so easily go from great drama to comedy.  So far this is the best film of the year.  A

No comments:

Post a Comment