My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Own Private Idaho (1991)

River Phoenix gives a memorable performance as a young male prostitute slacker named Mike who suffers from narcolepsy.  Mike is in search for his mother.  He befriends another male prostitute named Scott played by Keanu Reeves who is revolting against his rich family.   Gus Van Sant, the writer and director, combines elements of Shakespeare's Henry IV and inspirations from real street kids living in Portland.  I enjoyed many aspects of this film but ultimately felt detached from it.  I didn't find Mike's journey that rewarding and Keanu Reeves's story, while more interesting, never made much sense to me.  Reeves isn't strong enough of an actor to make me understand his inner conflict.  That's not to say it's a bad film, Van Sant proves how talented he is in so many ways, and you have to applaud the risk of even making such a daring film.  Grade: B    

No comments:

Post a Comment