My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Story of Qiu Ju (1992)

After her husband is kicked in the groin by the village leader, pleasant woman Qiu Ju sets out to find justice.  She doesn't want money or sympathy from the government.  She wants what in many ways she can't have and yet she will travel as far as it takes, even pregnant, to get what she wants.  Zhang Yimou directs what really is a minor masterpiece.  Gong Li plays the stubborn Qiu Ju and it's impossible to take your eyes off her, her character is so enduring that it's easy to get caught up in her obsessive quest.   These kind of tales about China and the workings of Communism are so fascinating.  I can't recommend this one enough.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment