My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Sanctum (2011)

If you can see this in 3D, it's worth it. Not always visually impressive, it's still fun to watch cave explorers in a claustrophobic 3D environment. That's probably the only element worth seeing, to be honest. This survival film "inspired by actual events" with "inspired" being the keyword starts off well with decent, watchable characters but things unravel quickly when they get trapped, especially with Ioan Gruffudd's almost villainous character taking a turn for the worst. The acting is average, the tension is average, and the direction is average, so yeah it's a pretty average film. Grade: B-

Spoiler: It's hard to recommend a film when everyone dies except for the hero and his survival is pretty much guaranteed by the opening shot. What's even more puzzling is that there were thirteen survivors of the event that inspired the film. I guess we're supposed to be moved by the father and son's relationship. All I could think about was how stupid it was that Mr. Gruffudd goes berserk.

No comments:

Post a Comment